Several friends have asked me what is in my little “death box”. So, here’s a list of files, so far:
- A list of tasks for Eric, after I die. What, where, and how. Want to spare him as much as possible. Draft of a notice to post on FB, for example.
- A list of my little “treasures” and who I would like them to be given to.
- Who needs to be notified, and how to locate them.
- My Vigil Plan (2 or 3 days of active dying. More on this later on.)
- How do I want my body to be cared for, after I die. (Turns out there are a ton of options! Some lovely rituals for me and whoever is there.)
- Cemetery choice, papers, receipts and plans on file
- How do I want my body to be disposed of . (Again, tons of options now.)
- Death Certificate format, and who gets a copy.
- Obituary draft and where to post
- Memorial plans: photos, music, contracts with celebrant, location, etc.
- Durable Power of Attorney
- Medical Power of Attorney
- Advance Directive
- Life Insurance papers
- Hospice via Providence, if applicable
That’s essentially it. May be more files as time goes on, and I learn more. This represents quite a bit of work, and thought and consultation, still ongoing. With no children, and Eric focused elsewhere at the moment (he is working full time) this is my gift to make it all as easy as possible. Is this all ready now? Not at all. Still working on all of it. I plan to discuss some of the details here, as time goes on, if people think it might help.
Please keep in mind that I am aware that I could quite easily live another 2-3 years or more, but I have no way of knowing, I see signs of demise, and so I want to die in peace, without worrying about any of this. I will be busy elsewhere, it seems!
I am a planner and always have been. If you are not, forget it and just enjoy your life! It all gets done, one way or another. Here at Rose Villa, I see some people planning on having their children deal with it. I didn’t think that my little fur girl would be up to the task.
If this is helpful to you, then yippee!